Follow by Email

Monday, August 12, 2013

Difficult Good-Byes

I have had numerous difficult good-byes lately - from officially selling my car to saying "see you later" to 6 of my closest girlfriends from university, the past few days have been a whirlwind of emotions. On one hand, I am so excited to move to Dubai and begin living and teaching over there, but as the day comes closer, I find myself longing to stay in my city. I have lived in the same house for my ENTIRE life, so this is, by far, the most major decision and event in my life to date.

The next few days are going to be crazy! I need to officially pack, run tons of last minute errands, and see and say good-bye to several people, including some of my oldest friends.

I am so worried I'm going to forget a small detail, or forget to pack something! Yes, I know I can buy almost anything over there, but I will still be upset if I forget something that is meaningful to me.

I keep trying to remember the old adage: "It's not good-bye, it's see you later". I realize that this sounds incredibly corny, but it's true! Most of my university friends are moving within three hours of the city in which we attended university (my hometown). I will hopefully be able to see almost everyone when I come home next summer. I expect the year will fly by, and with technology being so prominent in our everyday lives, I know I will be using Facebook, Skype, Twitter, FaceTime, WhatsApp, and Viber to keep in touch with my family and friends!

Six of my closest girlfriends from the past 5 years at university


1 comment:

  1. Leaving all that you know to enter into a new world and culture takes major testicular fortitude. For me, it wasn't the people I was gonna miss but the familiarity. I loved all my little hotspots in Brooklyn and knew them very well. To leave all that to come to Smalltown, not knowing anyone and trying to start a business took alot of adjusting.

    At least we live in the technical age so that, even though your friends won't be there physically, they'll always be "there"

    ReplyDelete