Follow by Email

Friday, August 09, 2013

First blog post!

One week from today, I will be travelling across the world to begin my first teaching job at an American International School in Dubai, U.A.E!!!!!



I am so excited to being my teaching career, and I am even more excited that I will be teaching internationally. I know that I will really grow immensely from this experience, and I am looking forward to blogging along the way! I intend for this blog to have two main purposes: 1) to connect with other educators (music educators, international educators, new teachers, and everyone else!) and 2) to keep my friends and family back home up-to-date with my adventures.

I have been meaning to begin a blog for the past two years while in university education classes. I think blogs are an excellent way to network, share, and keep track of one's personal growth as an educator and as a person. I have decided to finally take the plunge and begin a blog today for three reasons: 1) It's exactly one week until I leave! 2) I received my employment visa today! and 3) I just added my roommate on facebook, and she already has a blog started!

A little background on myself: I am from a small city in Manitoba, Canada. I was born, raised, and educated in this city. I have always been heavily involved with music and the arts as my parents are both music educators. I recently graduated from the university with a Bachelor of Music and a Bachelor of Education degree. My job overseas will be teaching "Secondary Music". As far as I know, my assignments next year will include Grade 7 Band, Grade 8 Band, Grade 9 General Music, Grade 10 General Music, and Grade 11 International Baccalaureate Music. I will also be involved in after school activities including drama and musical theatre.

I secured this job at the University of Northern Iowa's Overseas Recruiting Fair - an experience that I can't recommend enough! It was an absolute whirlwind of a weekend with high emotions and drama, but ended with the ideal scenario! I felt extremely fortunate to secure a job, especially since I am a brand-new teacher and I was only willing to accept jobs in my specialized area. I will try and do an updated blog post at some point reviewing and explaining the fair in more detail, but for now, please visit their website for more information: http://www.uni.edu/placement/overseas/osfair.html

I would love to connect with other educators - especially those involved with teaching music, new teachers, international teachers, IB teachers, or anyone else who wishes to network with me! My twitter handle is @emmaindubai. I look forward to connecting with you! :)






1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the city of great people. I hope you are enjoying here in Dubai.

    ReplyDelete