Follow by Email

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Successful Day of Underpreparing


I am having so much trouble blogging regularly! I need to start blogging shorter, more frequent posts - that's my new goal!

I had a FANTASTIC weekend in Musandam, Oman and Dibba, U.A.E. We went on a dhow cruise in the gorgeous mountains. I snorkelled for the first time, and had a wonderful, relaxed two days in the water with my new friends. I'll share a photo of the beautiful landscape.

An example of the beautiful scenary and mountains in Oman!

I just wanted to quickly post today and openly admit something: I was underprepared for today at school. Please note that I wasn't unprepared; I was underprepared, as I like to be very, very prepared for my classes. Thus far, I always have lesson plans completed and resources at the ready (on Diigo – post about Diigo coming soon!). My colleagues and I just had no idea how late we would get back from our weekend, or how tired we would be.

By the time I got home yesterday around 5:30 pm, I was completely exhausted. My roommate and I ordered food (delivery is so cheap here! It’s a bad habit, but I don’t do it too often) and I just wanted to go to bed. I was trying to look through textbooks and create a unit plan, but my brain honestly couldn’t understand what it was reading.

I was able to continue planning before school and during preps today – normally I am planning for the next day, but today I was planning for the next lesson. All three of my lessons still went well and I feel as though the goals I had for those classes were still met (side note: we started Medieval Music in IB today – Gregorian Chant 101!).

There will always be extenuating circumstances for which teachers may not be prepared. Yes, having fun in Dibba is not a great excuse but I’m still happy with how I managed today. I didn’t teach my finest lessons of all-time, but I still taught the students and accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. Today was a learning day for me, and I can’t wait to have time and the brain power to plan tonight!!

Lesson learned: Plan the next week BEFORE you go to Dibba.

No comments:

Post a Comment