Follow by Email

Friday, January 03, 2014

New Year's Resolutions!

Last year, at a New Year's party, I resolved to find a teaching job in 2013, preferably overseas. I definitely stuck to that resolution, as I'm coming up to the halfway point of my first teaching job in Dubai, U.A.E.!

I'm hoping that writing down my resolutions on a public forum will help keep me accountable in 2014. Here are the things I would like to work on improving in 2014:

Professional


(I am trying to be realistic about my New Year's Resolutions - I am still in my first-year of teaching, so I feel as though drastically resolving to change my teaching methods in some way may be a problematic idea!)

  • Survive my first year of teaching! (Haha - almost halfway there!)
  • Blog more frequently (I have Twitter friends to help keep me accountable!)
  • Be more productive at school during prep periods (try and leave work at work)
  • Continue to try and make long-term plans for all of my classes
  • Cumulate unit plans of what I have covered thus far
  • Continue to interact with my PLN on Twitter and Facebook
  • Continue to engage in Twitter chats (especially #mbedchat and #ibdpchat!)
  • Over the summer, read Teach like a Pirate by Dave Burgess and attempt to incorporate its strategies into my next year of teaching
  • Complete the Computer Science 50 Course from Harvard for which I am currently signed up!
  • Take guitar lessons

Personal


  • Read more (and watch less TV!)
  • Continue to try and lead an active life
  • Put myself out there more in Dubai in terms of meeting new people
  • Do more outdoorsy and water activities in Dubai - diving, surfing, SUP, hiking, etc.
  • Buy both a DSLR camera and a GoPro camera and learn how to use them
  • Continue to travel every chance I get
  • Floss more. Seriously.

There you have it! I think the majority of these resolutions are quite realistic and aren't overly drastic! 


I leave you with a picture of the Burj Khalifa that I took at midnight on January 1, 2014! 




Happy New Year's, everyone! What are your New Year's Resolutions? 



2 comments:

  1. Nice post, great set of resolutions and fantastic pic of the Burj Khalifa with fireworks! I hope your first year of teaching ends brilliantly! Keep up the great blogging, Emma - it's one of your resolutions!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Andy! I love following your blog, and thanks for putting me on your blogroll! :)

    ReplyDelete