Follow by Email

Saturday, February 01, 2014

Classroom Rules and Procedures

At the beginning of the year, I wasn't exactly sure what my classroom rules and procedures were going to be. I used an adapted course outline from my co-teacher, and left his rules on the outline. I briefly went over them, and never really touched on them again. These were the rules:

  • No food, gum, or drinks in the music room (bottled water is okay)
  • Enter quietly
  • Act professional

These are fine rules, but they are personal to me at all. Now that I am halfway done my first year of teaching (YAY!!!), I have a more clearly defined set of rules and procedures that I wish to implement in my classroom. I expect certain things from my students, and certain things irritate me.

Second semester starts tomorrow, and I am going to spend time in each class reviewing my new rules and procedures. I only have one new class, but each class could definitely use a refresher!

Here are the new rules and procedures I wish to highlight:

  • Bring a pencil and paper to every class
  • Keep handouts and assignments in an organized place in your binder
  • Personal devices are only allowed to be used during specified times (mp3 players, phones, etc.)
  • Do not touch anything in the room that does not belong to you (including but not limited to the piano, the sound board, any instruments, drums)
  • Instruments are not desks (the students are constantly trying to use a drum or the piano as a desk. NO.)
  • No food, drinks, or gum in the music room (other than bottled water)
  • Set and clean up the chairs quickly
  • Once the bell rings, you are late. If you are late, please come in quietly and do not disturb the class. 
I'm going to create a colour and laminated poster of these rules and procedures and hang it in the classroom. I'm trying to think of an abridged version of these rules to get the point across without being so wordy. Here is what I am thinking so far: 

Materials
  • Pencil and paper
  • Handouts and assignments
  • No food - only WATER
  • Personal devices only when requested

Behaviour* 
  • Set and clean up the chairs quickly
  • Not yours? Don't touch it.
  • Late? Come in quietly.
*(And yes, I refuse to put "behavior" on my poster, even thought I work at an American school. I may conform on report cards [and by conform I mean that I go back and remove the u, because I cannot type "behavior" intentionally], but I will not conform on a sign I will look at every day!)

I then want to put some type of fun sentence, like "Music is the ultimate goal" or "Follow the rules and make more music". I'm not sure about this one yet. I'll update the poster file once it's finished!

What do you include on your list of rules and procedures? 

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I’m Rita Moudar , Project manager at Buzzeff Middle East,
    we are a social advertising platform and we are looking for bloggers who can participate to our clients campaign by seeding videos or publishing sponsored articles ,
    we pay 300 $ for 10,000 views and 100$ per article
    please contact me if you are interested and want more details,
    thank you,
    Website: http://www.buzzeff.com my email rita.moudar@buzzeff.com

    Rita Moudar
    Project Manager
    Mobile: +212 665340758
    Fixe: +212 522 232 840
    www.buzzeff.com




    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you condensed your list to make it to-the-point and student friendly! I don't have my rules/expectations posted but I do include them in the course outline as well as on our website. They are:
    1) Be on time to class
    2) Be prepared to learn (have all supplies)
    3) Actively participate in classroom activities
    4) Complete all class work
    5) Ask for help when needed
    6) Only use technology when appropriate
    7) Not interfere with the learning of others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Kirsten! I like your rules - very practical and straightforward.

      Several of mine are school-mandated (no gum, no personal devices unless requested), and some of them are my pet peeves (I'm very meticulous about how my chairs are stacked!).

      Delete